Benadryl Cough Syrup
Benadryl Cough Syrup is an antihistamine which inhibits the secretion of the chemical histamine in our body.
Benadryl Cough Syrup uses
It is an over the counter cough syrup used for treating hives, rashes, sneezing, itching, runny nose, watery eyes and other symptoms linked to common cold and allergies. It may also be used for treating nausea, vomiting, to suppress coughs, insomnia, and for treating common forms of Parkinson’s Ailments.
Tips and warnings
· Avoid Benadryl Cough Syrup, if you are allergic to any of its active ingredients. Inform your doctor if any history of allergic reaction to Benadryl ever occurred.
· Use with caution while operating heavy machinery, driving or conducting other serious activities. Benadryl Cough Syrup contains alcohol which may induce drowsiness or sleepiness after administration.
· Avoid the over the counter cough syrup if you have used any form of a monoamine oxidase inhibitor ((MAOI)) during the last 2 weeks. MAOI like tranylcypromine (Parnate), phenelzine (Nardil), or isocarboxazid (Marplan) could interact with Benadryl Cough Syrup and cause serious side effects.
· Inform your doctor of any prevailing health condition which includes stomach ulcer, any heart disease, asthma, kidney problems, liver disease, glaucoma, hypertension, bladder problems, or an enlarged prostate. In such cases you may not be able to or require reduced dosage and special observation while using Benadryl Cough Syrup.
· In case of pregnancy or breast feeding, consult a doctor before using OTC medicines. Even though Benadryl belongs to FDA pregnancy Category B group and is safe for use during pregnancy.
· Elderly patients are subject to Benadryl side effects and may require reduced dosage of the over the counter cough syrup.
Dosage and administration
Use Benadryl Cough Syrup as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. In case you don’t understand the prescription read the direction on the label carefully. It can be used with or without food but recommended to use after food to prevent stomach upset.
Measure Benadryl Cough Syrup with a specified dose measuring cup or spoon to ensure proper dose. Avoid using more than the recommended dose of Benadryl Cough Syrup and avoid using it for a prolonged time period. If symptoms don’t improve, consult a doctor.
Place Benadryl Cough Syrup in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight, heat or moisture.
An overdose symptom includes sleepiness, headache, confusion, and change in vision, dry mouth, fever, hallucination and possible seizures. Consult a doctor in case any overdose symptoms occur or is suspected.